Voters choose 5 places to join Chestnut Hill Architectural Hall of Fame

Posted 5/28/21

Five treasured places have joined the Chestnut Hill Conservancy’s (CH Conservancy’s) Architectural Hall of Fame, a distinguished list of Chestnut Hill’s most beloved significant buildings, structures, and landscapes, chosen by the general public.

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Voters choose 5 places to join Chestnut Hill Architectural Hall of Fame

Posted

Five treasured places have joined the Chestnut Hill Conservancy’s (CH Conservancy’s) Architectural Hall of Fame, a distinguished list of Chestnut Hill’s most beloved significant buildings, structures, and landscapes, chosen by the general public. These were revealed at the Conservancy’s Architectural Hall of Fame Virtual Celebration on Saturday, May 22.

Photographs and brief histories of all of these properties can be seen at www.chconservancy.org.

This year’s inductees are:

  • Valley Green Bridge (Valley Green Road; 1832, 1915);
  • High Hollow (West Hampton Rd; 1914-17; George Howe, Architect);
  • William A. Kilian Hardware Co. (1925-27 on early 19th existing building; 8450 Germantown Avenue; Melvin Grebe);
  • Chestnut Hill Friends Meeting House (100 E Mermaid Lane; 1931; Heacock & Hokanson, Architect);
  • and the Chestnut Hill Women’s Center (8811-8835 Germantown Ave; 1903; Charles Barton Keen).

These are added to 20 properties already listed on the Chestnut Hill Architectural Hall of Fame: Thomas Mill Covered Bridge (originally built 1731), Abraham Rex Store/Woodward Offices (8031-33 Germantown Ave, 1762), Stagecrafters Theater / Peters House (8132-34 Germantown Avenue, 1784, and early-19th c.), Morris Arboretum (numerous notable architects, 19th-21st centuries), Chestnut Hill Baptist Church & Cemetery (2 E Bethlehem Pike, 1835), The Venetian Club (8030 Germantown Avenue, ca. 1845, 1929), Chestnut Hill College-Historic Complex (9601 Germantown Ave, 1850-1961), Gravers Lane Station (Frank Furness, 1883), Anglecot (403 E. Evergreen Ave.; 1883; Wilson Eyre, Architect), the Wissahickon Inn (G.W. and W.D. Hewitt, 1883-84), Houston Sauveur House (8205 Seminole St.; 1885; Hewitt Brothers for H. H. Houston, Architects), Water Tower Recreation Center (209 E. Hartwell Lane, 1889, 1919), the Chestnut Hill Fire Station (John T. Windrim, 1894), Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields (G.W. and W.D. Hewitt, 1895), Chestnut Hill Free Library (8711 Germantown Ave ca. 1897-1907; Cope and Stewardson, Architects), Krisheim, 7600-block McCallum Street (Peabody and Stearns, Olmsted Brothers, 1910-12), the Half-Moon Houses (7919-25 Lincoln Drive, 1916), Margaret Esherick House (Louis Kahn, 1960-61), and the Vanna Venturi House (Robert Venturi, 1962-64), and 614 St. Andrews Road (Elie-Antoine Atallah, 2013).

“The Architectural Hall of Fame celebrates Chestnut Hill as one of America's most architecturally significant communities,” said Lori Salganicoff, CH Conservancy’s executive director. “The community is blessed with outstanding examples of architecture spanning four centuries, along with stunning natural landscape that weaves throughout. Chestnut Hill is not only a historic place but one where great design thrives into the future.

“The Architectural Hall of Fame serves the Chestnut Hill Conservancy’s mission to protect and manage change in the built environment by raising community awareness about its irreplaceable assets. And it honors the effort that current stewards are making, which is essential.”

The Architectural Hall of Fame recognizes the community’s most treasured buildings, structures and landscapes in Chestnut Hill. These properties represent groundbreaking approaches to planning and design; or are significant for their design, materials, craftsmanship; or as an exceptional example of their style, or are of historic significance because of an association with an event, a person, or by virtue of age.

Over 100 people attended the virtual celebration, which was sponsored by BMT, the Nottingham-Goodman Group of Merrill Lynch Bank of America, Dennis F. Meyer Inc., Millan Architects, Bowman Properties, SoMD Architects, George Woodward Co., JKJ Personal Insurance Advisors and Heacock Builders.

For information about the Architectural Hall of Fame please contact: Lori Salganicoff at lori@chconservancy.org

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here