The Chestnut Hill Historical Society’s popular Houses of Worship tour and lecture series begins its second year at 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 8, with a visit to the Germantown Jewish Centre in Mt. Airy.
Designed by Harry Sternfeld and completed in 1954, the Centre’s Temple rises above Lincoln Drive at 400 W. Ellet Street. Its congregation has been serving the Jewish community in Northwest Philadelphia and its surrounding counties for more than 75 years.
The next house of worship in the series is the Chapel of Mount Saint Joseph Convent (at Chestnut Hill College), which was modeled on the beautiful gothic chapel Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. This event will take place at 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 15.
On Sunday, March 22, at 4 p.m., participants will visit a relatively new congregation, the Cresheim Valley Church, which worships in the Chapel at Springside Chestnut Hill Academy. Designed by G.W. and W.D. Hewitt as part of the former Wissahickon Inn, the Chapel has recently been renovated.
Completing the series at 3 p.m. Sunday, April 12, is a visit to the Seventh-Day Adventist Church on Germantown and Rex Avenues, which was designed by Scottish-born architect John Notman and built in 1854.
The lectures and tours are free. Light refreshments will be served following each tour. A freewill offering at each congregation will be greatly appreciated by the congregations that are graciously making their facilities available.
For more information, call the Chestnut Hill Historical Society at 215-246-0417.