Growing in a new job and location

Community | December 27th, 2019 | Leave a comment

by Brendan Sample Most of my New Year’s resolutions for 2020 are pretty straightforward: Step outside of my comfort zone more often, meet new people, travel more, etc. They’re resolutions that plenty of people take on every year and are also ones that I’ve attempted to accomplish in the past. The thing is, however, that […]

Read More >

At-home yoga: Convenient and rewarding

Community | December 27th, 2019 | Leave a comment

by Allison Hackman If you’re anything like me and millions of people across the country, you have probably thought to yourself, “I should do more self-care” – whatever that means for you. Especially around the new year, we tend to feel the pressure to tweak, improve or fix something about ourselves. Resolutions generally center around […]

Read More >

Recalling Christmas in NW Philly after beginning of war

Community | December 26th, 2019 | Leave a comment

by Neil Nolan Four minutes before midnight, Dec. 24, 1941, 78 years ago, the massive nave of the Immaculate Conception Church in East Germantown was teeming, its pews filled with neighbors, one or two generations removed from the tenements along the Delaware River and South Philadelphia. They were about to become “the Greatest Generation,” but […]

Read More >

Whitemarsh Foundation to host winter birding event

Community | December 20th, 2019 | Leave a comment

On Feb. 29, 2020, the Whitemarsh Foundation will be partnering with the Chestnut Hill Community Association on an exclusive member event – Winter Birding at the Dixon Meadow Preserve. This CHCA member only event will be facilitated by Ruth Anne Pfeffer and include a 45-minute presentation followed by a guided tour through the meadow. More […]

Read More >

Voters choose five places to join Chestnut Hill Architectural Hall of Fame

Community | December 19th, 2019 | Leave a comment

Five treasured places joined the Chestnut Hill Conservancy’s Architectural Hall of Fame, a distinguished list of Chestnut Hill’s most beloved significant buildings, structures and landscapes, chosen by more than 6,000 votes from the general public. One property was selected by the Conservancy’s Preservation Committee.   This year’s inductees are: Houston Sauveur House (8205 Seminole St.; […]

Read More >

From horrific poverty and abuse to doctorate degree

Community | December 13th, 2019 | Leave a comment

by Len Lear Every decent person loves a story about someone overcoming huge obstacles, deprivation, poverty, abuse, etc., to become a success not only for himself but in enabling him to help other people. I do not think I have across a better example of this uplifting phenomenon than Lorenzo Woodson, 55, a longtime resident […]

Read More >

Get books delivered by bike to your door

by Pete Mazzaccaro This holiday season it’s tough not to rely on old, faithful Amazon for your gift shopping. Pop open the app on your phone or open the site up on your laptop and, as you click, the company will line up packages for swift delivery to your front porch. Local book shop owner […]

Read More >

Tips to have a stress-free holiday

by Sue Ann Rybak Almost everyone would agree that the holidays are a stressful time of year. In fact, the words holidays and havoc almost seem intertwined. With that in mind, the Local has a few tips that will help make the holidays less stressful. The Local talked to Chestnut Hill-based psychiatrist Jonathan Beatty, M.D., […]

Read More >