The Chestnut Hill Local, owned by the Chestnut Hill Community Association, serves this vibrant and powerful community in Northwest Philadelphia and surrounding suburbs with the Local, an award-winning weekly newspaper; chestnuthilllocal.com, a dynamic online and social media presence and Welcome, a biannual full-color glossy newcomers magazine.
Opportunities at the Chestnut Hill Local offer the chance to be part of a strong, collaborative team deeply rooted in one of Philadelphia’s most popular communities and its surrounding suburbs.
The Local also offers both paid and unpaid internships for college and high school students thanks to the Anna Fisher Clark Fund administered by the Chestnut Hill Community Fund.
Publisher, Chestnut Hill Local
The Chestnut Hill Local, a 60-year-old institution within one of Philadelphia’s most historic and affluent neighborhoods, seeks a visionary Publisher to lead this weekly newspaper and website into their next chapter. This is a unique opportunity for a dynamic, innovative Publisher to guide a storied media company with a solid foundation into its digital future.
The Publisher is responsible for the strategic, financial and operational success of all phases of the enterprise. The Publisher exhibits effective team leadership of various departments, including sales, circulation and distribution, editorial, production, human resources and finance. The focus of the position is to work with the volunteer board of directors in developing the vision for the Local and executing and delivering on that vision. The primary responsibilities include sales execution, market strategy, and community engagement. The ideal candidate will have a record of success in both traditional and new media with an astute understanding of digital advertising and marketing.
- Development of revenue and profits in media, digital, and alternative revenue streams;
- Planning short and long-term strategies to achieve goals and objectives;
- Establishing a challenging and enriching work environment for all employees;
- Assure effective recruitment, selection, training, development, and evaluation of personnel;
- Meet projected revenue and expense goals;
- Lead team sales efforts, both in advertising and circulation;
- Prepare the annual budget;
- Enthusiastic involvement in community events and organizations;
- and Regular reporting to the board of directors and attendance at board meetings.
- Thorough knowledge of sales and management techniques;
- A deep understanding of digital media;
- Prior experience in advertising, sales, and news in a competitive market;
- Strong management and recruiting skills; and
- Experience working in industries undergoing substantial change and transformation.
The Local offers a competitive salary and benefits package as well as a challenging and rewarding work environment.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and any other supporting information to email@example.com.
ADVERTISING SALES REPRESENTATIVE
The Chestnut Hill Local is seeking a dynamic person with a proven track record of sales success to join our advertising team. Candidate should be familiar with working on deadlines, be goal-oriented and posses the ability to work independently to achieve departmental goals.
Newspaper, sales and/or advertising background a plus.
Interested individuals should submit resumes to:
and tell us why you would be a good fit for this position.