Seasons Greetings. The best thing about Holiday giving is the reward it gives back. No one can deny how much fun it is and how good it feels to give a present. In that spirit, I’d like to ask you to take a moment and give a present to the Chestnut Hill Community Fund. By doing so you’ll be helping the Fund to spread your gift to so many excellent nonprofits in our neighborhood.
The CHCF consolidates all gifts and in turn awards cash grants to four main categories: (1) human services, (2) cultural enrichment, (3) education and (4) physical beautification. Each of the organizations that receive funding from the CHCF conducts activities in one or more of these goal oriented categories. Here are some examples:
• Chestnut Hill Meals on Wheels delivers 16,000+ hot meals to inbound neighbors in Northwest Philadelphia each year.
• Teenagers Inc. helps its 500 members in their personal development and gives them opportunities to help others like homeless families and other children at risk.
• The Crossing community-supported vocal ensemble performs for local audiences in St. Paul’s and the Presbyterian Churches and has issued recordings worldwide.
• The Chestnut Hill Book Festival last year featured more than 50 locally and nationally recognized authors hosting more than 25 free events including panel discussions, author readings, writer’s workshops and a special appearance by Kathy O’Connell of WXPN’s Kids Corner.
• The Friends of J.S. Jenks and Friends of Children’s Park have created venues for the community by maintaining and improving both the outdoor play area and the indoor auditorium at Chestnut Hill’s local public school. Thousands of children benefit.
• The Allens Lane Art Center annually produces 40 live performances of local plays, schedules year-round art & dance classes, operates a professional gallery exhibition space and runs a summer art camp for local kids.
• The Chestnut Hill Garden District designation recognizes our neighborhood for its beautiful parks and gardens, its proximity to Fairmount Park’s Wissahickon Valley and the crown jewel, Morris Arboretum. Chestnut Hill was designated one of America’s Dozen Distinctive Destinations in 2010 and was named as one of the Ten Best Neighborhoods in the USA in 2012.
• Friends of the Wissahickon, in cooperation with the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Department, helps maintain the quality of all 1,800 acres and 57 miles of trails in Wissahickon Park while maintaining a host of activities including biking, hiking, fishing, horseback riding, jogging and more.
The Chestnut Hill Community Fund asks for your gift in order to continue supporting these and many other excellent nonprofit organizations that help maintain our quality of life here in Chestnut Hill and beyond.
Donors who give $500 or more this year can stop by Town Hall to pick up your free keepsake 2015 Chestnut Hill Calendar.
You can make a contribution in person or by mail to CHCF at 8434 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia 19118 or online to www.chdashboard.com/member/login or contact Noreen Spota at 215-248-8810.