The history of the Yeakel Cemetery, the final resting place of some of Chestnut Hill and Springfield Township’s earliest inhabitants, will be the subject of a program presented by the Springfield Township Historical Society on Thursday, Sept. 18, 7:30 p.m., at the First Presbyterian Church in Springfield, Bethlehem Pike and East Mill Rd., Flourtown.
The burial ground is located in a wooded area behind a rehabilitation center in Wyndmoor, Springfield Township. Its elusive location has kept it out of public view for nearly a century.
The Yeakel Cemetery was once owned by the Mack family of Germantown and was used as a place of interment prior to 1753. Many buried here are descendants of the Schwenkfelders who came to Philadelphia seeking religious freedom in 1734. Tradition states that Revolutionary War casualties are buried here in unmarked graves. Four men, buried here, are listed as members of the Pennsylvania militia. Christopher Yeakel, whose house was ransacked by British troops in 1777, purchased the property in 1802. There are 53 known burials in the cemetery. The last one was Matilda Heydrick who died in 1902.
Speaker at the program will be Jack Yeakel, a Flourtown resident, Springfield Township Historical Society board member and ninth generation descendant of those early settlers. Over many years, Jack has researched the history of the site and is currently leading an effort to preserve it.
The public is invited, and there is no charge. Reservations are not required. Light refreshments will be served. More information at 215-233-4600.